India Entry Procedure and Visa Rules

Visa Requirements
Foreigners desirous of visiting India can do so after obtaining a visa from the Indian Mission in the country of their residence, or in a country nearest to them. People of all nationalities are welcome to visit India for tourism, business, education, family reunions etc. Employment visas are also granted if backed by employment contracts. Visas for spouse and children of foreigners employed in India are automatically granted. Nationals of Pakistan and Afghanistan are advised to apply for their visa well in advance of their intended travel because the procedure for processing their applications often takes longer than for other nationalities. All visa applicants must posses a valid passport of their country of citizenship.

Types of visa
Tourist Visa: Usually a multi-entry visa is granted for the purpose of tourism.
Transit Visa: Transit visas are granted by Indian Missions abroad for a maximum period of 15 days.
Business Visa: A foreigner can obtain one from an Indian Embassy or Consulate abroad.
Student Visa: A student visa can be obtained from an Indian Embassy or Consulate abroad on the production of proof of admission and means of sustenance while in India. The visa is valid for one year but can be extended in India for the duration of the course.
Conference Visa: Delegates coming to attend international conferences and/or exhibitions in India can be granted Conference Visas to cover the conference as well as for tourism in India Delegates are advised to apply to the Indian Embassies well in advance.

Religious missionary visas: Religious missionaries can obtain visas for single entry and duration as permitted by the Government of India. Writers who are known to have offended religious sentiments have been refused visa in recent years. Foreign religious preachers known, or suspected, to be able to arouse religious passions that can disturb peaceful co-existence of all religions, are unlikely to be given visa.

Journalist Visa: Professional journalists and photographers are granted visa for three months' stay in India.
Employment Visa: Employment visas are initially issued for one year stay. This can be extended by the Foreigners' Regional Registration Office in India, if the job contract continues. Spouses and children will get coterminous visas.

Foreigner's Regional Registration Offices (FRROs) in New Delhi, Mumbai and Calcutta and the Chief Immigration Officer in Madras, handle visa renewals as well as permits for Restricted Areas, via Andaman Islands, Sikkim, Assam, Ladakh, Lahaul Spiti, etc. New Delhi: 1st Floor, Hans Bhavan, Tilak Bridge, New Delhi - 110002. Telephone: (91 11) 3319489
Calcutta: 9/1, Gariahat Road, Calcutta - 700020. Telephone: (91 33) 443301, 2470549
Chennai: 9, Village Road, Nungabakkam, Madras - 600034. Telephone: (91 44) 8270549
Mumbai: 2nd Floor, 414 V.S. Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai - 400001. Telephone: (91 22) 430133

Exemption from Registration
Foreigners coming to India on tourist visas for 180 days or a shorter period are not required to register themselves with any authority in India. They can move about freely in the country, except to restricted/protected areas and prohibited places.

Kailash Yatra 2013 Departure